Monday, January 12, 2009

A little under the weather


This saturday I did a nice and easy 6 mile recovery run after my son's soccer game around 3pm. I took it really easy and it felt good, but I had a little upset stomach. By 8pm I started getting the chills and my teeth were chattering uncontroablly. So, I grabbed my hot pad and climbed into bed. I felt weak and my whole body was aching. I stayed in bed until 12:30p the next day. I wanted to get up but I just didn't have the energy, plus I still had a very bad stomach ache. I was suppose to run 19 miles today and I was very excited to do so. It would of gave me 77 miles for the week, which would've been my all time high.

At 5pm I felt okay, but still kind of weak. I decided to try and run at a very easy pace (probaly a stupid move). I ended up running just 12 miles on my south loop w/ Service extention. It's a great loop to run when you are training to run the Boston Marathon. It has lots of uphill and some good downhill to give the quads some needed pounding. I took it easy, but could tell I was pretty weak. I had almost no energy going up Huffman hill. I almost felt like laying down on the side of the road. Of course it was 0 degrees out so I knew I had to keep running. When I got home I just crawled into bed and layed their for awhile. I'm not sure if running was a smart move. I just hate getting off my routine and my training program. I always feel that if I'm sick I can still workout, but just lower the intensity. I must have some type of flu bug running through my body right now. My body aches, I feel weak, and my stomach is upset. Hopefully this will all pass in the next couple days.

2 comments:

John Clark said...

Dude, Just let the bug run its course. Pushing isn't going to help. Even Ryan Hall will get sick in the next 4 months, everyone will. Be smart. Just do very short speed (30-50 meters) and drills. Nothing that makes you tired. don't think about miles. Stretch, abs anything that helps without draining.

Frayed Laces said...

ugh feel better! I know what you mean about wanting to still run even when you're sick. I will stay in bed all day just so I can have the energy to get out and run!