Monday, January 5, 2009

Doubles!

Marathoners can sometime benefit from running twice a day. In my training schedule I have recovery days of 10 miles that are broken into 2 short runs. Running 10 straight miles on a recovery day may take too much out of your body. If you split it into 2 short runs you also speed your recovery because each run will increase blood flow to your muscles and take little out of yo$u.



I woke up at 5am this morning (since I had to be at work by 7am) and ran a super easy 6 miles on the treadmill. I can handle easy recovery runs early in the morning because I don't really need to be wide awake. After work I did another 4 miles super easy on the treadmill.

To get my mileage up to 80/90 miles a week I'll have to throw a couple doubles in each week. Hard to believe I'm already in week #4 on the Road to Boston!

No comments: