Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tempo is my favorite workout

Yesterday (Friday) I had a great workout. I ran 12 miles with 6 miles at tempo pace. It was sunny and 25 above outside and I really wanted to run outside, but this workout called for the treadmill. Here is how I ran it:

3 mile warm-up (7:30, 7:14, 7:03)
6 miles @ tempo (6:00, 5:52, 5:52, 5:52, 5:52, 5:52)
3 mile cool down (7 min pace)

I really like tempo runs because of the feeling of going fast, but not giving it everything you have. Like I said before, tempo is a pace that you should be able to keep up for an hour. My workout room was a little warm and sweat was starting to fly everywhere toward the end of the tempo run. I had a towel nearby and was trying to dry myself off the best I could. I know that training is going well for Boston when I can keep this pace and feel comfortable while doing it.

Today was an easy 8 mile recovery run. I was very happy to do it outside. It was cool out but the sun was shining which made me feel really happy. Sunshine can sure make you feel positive.

One of the great things about training for Boston is that the training is done during the worst time of year in Alaska. There is little sunlight, it's cold, icy, and snowy. That probably doesn't make sense. It's probably why a lot of Alaskans don't run a spring marathon. But, I'm getting in great shape and getting those endorphins kicking in the winter. It's much better coming out of winter in great shape, than coming out of winter having gained 10 lbs. Tomorrow calls for a long 22 miler. I'm meeting Jerry at the Dome at 9am. I hope to do 16+ outside and then finish up in the dome.

No comments: